Can someone enlighten me on what responsible journalism is all about? Because even if I write and sometimes fancy myself as a writer, I do not and never claim that I am one. In the first place, I have the faintest idea of the technicalities and whatnots of journalism. All I know is that it is a channel for what our nation, our country, advocates as freedom of speech, of expression and of press. Whatever, right?
So by now, you must guess already that I rant, which you are right. But I must warn you that this is purely my opinion. So whatever I may say here is right. Opinion. You cannot contest that. (Or you can, but you’d lose anyway. ) And yes, I’m using a bit of that freedom of expression, aside from the shout outs, lol-ing etc, , hahaha!, hehehe!, !!!, that I occasionally do in my status, photo captions and comments.
Anyway, let me cut this short or long..whichever suits you.
I am disappointed, most of the time, with our media. Or let me be fair by cutting that down to Philippine TV news. I’m limiting this to TV news, and by news I mean not the showbiz news for they are never disappointing. It at all, they are plain gossip in the guise of pseudo entertainment.
So what about the TV news?
Can I just lay down some examples?
Right.
Example No. 1:Isang walumpong talampakan na sawa ang natagpuan sa harap ng tindahan ni Aling Loling sa Quezon City. Hindi alam kung isusurender sa dapat paglagakan o pupulutanin ito ng mga nakahuli..
Example No. 2: Lando, iisa ang paa. Kumakain ng pako habang nagmomonocycle..
I mean, I know we Filipinos are talents of extremes but can we just compile the trivia in one show for that purpose?
Oh, those weren’t some trivia? Well, opinion.
Example No. 3: Isang lalaki nadisgrasya sa motorsiklo, duguan, laseng, nakaharang na road blocks, madilim, lubak-lubak na daan, mayayabang sa anak ng alta sosyodad etcetera, etcetera..
And then there will be no less than 2 or 3 clips of similar stories for a single news run. I know this serves as information for the family of the victims. But there sure to be more news about motorcycle accidents allll oovvver the country and they could not possibly cover those and insert all the clips in the news for one night, right? So, one will be enough, or better yet, dispense with them because those are all common knowledge. The only difference is that the victims are different.
In the second place, when we watch the horrendous scenes, we cringe, get mad at the responsible authorities and the unmindful, we get frustrated, we fear for our lives, and we cry our hearts out to the unfortunate victims.
And yes, these are the news we watch while we have our hearty dinner with our dear families. News, mostly should be new information, but in essence they are way older than we already are. The lubak-lubak, the unlit areas, the haphazard road blocks?
They're as new as our grannies.
I would probably suggest that they put up one show where all road accidents will be featured. They can dub it as:
“Mga Kalunos-lunos na Disgrasya sa Daan.”
Subtitle: Wag Kukurap.
From the most awful to the slightest scratch on the road, all in one show. From Appari to Jolo. It will probably run forever. But I’m not saying that it will be sponsored and that you’ll be watching it.
Anyway, here’s more.
Example No. 4: Ang bagong halal na Pangulo natabig ang siko ni Pilato. Hindi nya napansin na napairap si Pilato dahil abala sya sa pagpupunas ng tumatagaktak na pawis sa nakakalbo nyang noo.
Oh the President sweats? Really?
And yes, he moves? Oh.
So he’s human? No. He’s mutant. Stupid!
I mean, how trivial can they get? (Wait. The examples are just analogies, just in case.)
I would suggest another show for them especially for that purpose.
“Mula Pangungulangot Hanggang Pag- utot ni Bagong Pangulo.”
Subtitle: “Oo, Tao Siya!”
You probably guessed what it will feature. It will also include runs of the people he gets associated with.
Example No. 5:
Morning News
Host: Interbyuhin natin si Atty. Mainitulo para sagutin ang mga alegasyon ni Kagalang-galang na Landong Pacute, kasalukuyang Direktor ng Ahensyang Korupto.
Atty. Mainitulo: Ganito kasi yan Bonjing (referring to the host), eto kasing si Lando blah, blah.. Blah, blah. *&^%%@#$^^ ka, @#%$&^(!& mo ka!
Kagalang-galang na Landong Pacute, Direktor ng Ahensyang Korupto: (ngingiti-ngiti) Ayaw ko kayong patulan. Matanda na kayo. Buti nga di ko kayo tinuluyan noong nakaraan.. (ngiting aso)…
Evening News
Nagkasagutan si Atty. Maninitulo at Kagalang-galang na Landong Pacute, Direktor ng Ahensyang Korupto sa panayam namin kanina. Blah, blah!
The following morning news
Nagkasagutan si Atty. Maninitulo at Kagalang-galang na Landong Pacute, Direktor ng Ahensyang Korupto sa panayam namin kanina. Blah, blah!
Oh goodness holy crap!
Why would we run over and over again some clip, err news, that is nothing but shallow bantering of childish, misbehaving authorities?!
Here’s another question?
Did you see news where a baranggay official successfully gathered his constituents together to clean up the clogs of some drainage, or a private citizen who organized a community social service?
Yeah, one? Two? Okay.
2 over 30, probably.
So what am I zeroing at?
It’s this:
Our news, most of it, sucks.
That media (the people) campaigns on going forward but the news is just stagnant or even goes backward.
That the most influential and the most powerful entity in our country is the media.
And if they, whoever run them, won’t let loose of a single peso in the name of better, motivating, sensible, substantial and relevant supply of information to the TV subscribers, antenna or cable, we will not have a very good chance towards that tomorrow which we all dream of.
Heavy? Well, it’s because I’m already sleepy.